Thursday, August 12, 2010

August 12, 2010 Less Than a Day to Go....

I am ready to be home, so am going full speed ahead. I imagine something will happen to slow us down, and I don't want to miss the tide.

Apple cider sounds good to me, and Dave would like a Guiness.

Towels to take a shower would be great as well...

I hope I can figure out how to run my phone...

See you soon,

August 12, 2010 Arrival Estimations

Well I guess it depends how fast we go. One GPS is saying 25 hours (it is 2:30 PM now).

We made good time last night with the speed around 8 knots. For the time being, the wind has died down and we are motoring at 5 knots. (Maybe we should go faster...? 6 knots it is with 127 miles to go.

The Spot device was showing different light patterns, and I have gotten a report that it is not working. We are changing the batteries now. Let us know if it starts working.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

August 11, 2010 When Will We Get There?

This question is a cause of much speculation, and the answer is very variable at this time.

This morning at the end of my shift at 6 AM the GPS said 350 miles to go, and were were doing 7 knots. This would have us at the Golden Gate Bridge at 8 AM.

But then I woke up around 1 PM and the GPS said 610 miles to go, and we were doing 5 knots. That would have been 5 PM Friday afternoon.

We are now doing 6 knots and have 305 miles to go at 1:30 PM.

The GPS says we will get there in 53 hours. (So like 6:30 PM.)

Hopefully we will get in earlier than that. Noon at the bridge. 2:30 at Fortman?

It would be nice to have some daylight as we go by the Farallons. Should we pass above or below them?

It is my understanding that the wind will be lessening as we get closer to SF, so some engine work may be involved.

August 10, 2010 Are We There Yet?

Yesterday we were back on the wind and not feeling to well due to seasickness again.

The wind came forward and we reefed the main and swapped out the jibtop for the 110. We are still doing between 6 and seven knots. And the load is light on the tiller, so we can use the autopilot again.

In a calmer moment, I was able to add 5 gallons of fuel.

We had pasta for dinner again. The wind is picking up after dinner and it looks like 15 knots out of 350 for the next day or so.

We keep doing the arrival math, and it looks like we may arrive Friday morning to afternoon.

See you all soon.


Monday, August 9, 2010

August 9, 2010 And Then They Were Sailing...

We ran out of fuel last night just before my shift started. Of course it took a while to figure out that that was the problem. We have been having trouble getting fuel in the tanks. They always appear to be full when we try to add. I am glad that ordeal is over and hope we don't need much more motor.

It is surprising how close we are on resources. Just missing 2 hours of sleep last night was hard. And of course both of us were affected.

Dave woke me up around Noon and said if we get the sail up, we should be able to go faster. So we put the jibtop up and sure enough, we did go faster. It also happened to be just as a squall was coming. (I am proud of Dave for wanting to put up more sail as the wind was building.) We have been going pretty well all afternoon at 5 to 9 knots. Mostly around 6.5 to 7.

We are currently at:
38.00 x 138.09 with 743 mils to go to the Golden Gate bridge.
Wind is 12 knots out of 320 and looks to be holding this way for the next several hundred miles.
The boat is moving along at 7.3 knots with the wind at 85 apparent.
Barometric pressure is at 1024.

Hope to be home Friday or Saturday.